OK. Maybe it doesn’t have the same ring as Aretha’s RESPECT. Nevertheless, acronyms make good mnemonics, and I like having good mnemonics for rubrics. Here’s my rubric for successful sales management:
- R — Recruit. First things first. Starting with a great team makes everything easier, and starting with a great team comes from recruiting one.
- E — Expect. Set clear expectations.
- S — Support. Give your rockstar team the tools and support they need to meet those expectations.
- C — Coach.
- U — Understand. Once you have your team up and running, you need to evaluate that team. Each person has strengths and weaknesses. You need to understand what those are so you can make the right decisions.
- E — Elevate. Or, alternatively, Execute. Once you understand what’s working for your team and what isn’t, execute the changes you need in order to elevate the performance of everyone.
There you have it: my simple rubric for RESCUE-ing your sales team.